Friday, April 13, 2012

Distanced

I started this piece not knowing what it was going to be about.  One of the reasons I love about art is that no matter how well you had it planned out from the beginning, the end result will always surprise you. Not only by appearance but conceptually, the process grow into something way bigger than what you have started.
I always ridiculed when I hear others pursuing in long distance relationships until I found myself being apart of one. It is sad to think about how it has ended, but if you ask me if I would do it again, the answer is yes. I think if the person is significant enough to you, then the distance shouldn't matter.  It is cliche to think that the influence of a piece was one's relationship, but towards the end, the whole piece was essentially about layers of connection and emotion through distance. This piece is definitely a start of something new. The whole process was a big exploration for me. It was interesting to focus on the positive and negative space using white medium on black background. It is harder to create tonality when using white on black instead of black on white. Hopefully this will progress throughout the summer.


Untitled from chengxi tian on Vimeo.

song: The Suburbs- Mr. Little Jeans
      Detailed fragments

















No comments:

Post a Comment