Saturday, May 5, 2012

A too eventful evening

It all started around 3 p.m.

( Anyone who knows me well knows that I adore old people. )

As I walked home, I see a number of people standing in front of my building burning paper on the ground.  From a distance, I vaguely saw a man carrying a large portrait, and immediately I thought of death.  (I live in a building filled with elders who could barely walk themselves out the building.)   My steps became slower and heavier as I realized that I "know" the old man in the picture.  Even though I didn't know him on a personal level, during the 3 years I lived in Shanghai, I helped him throw away trash, held the door for him on a daily basis, and pressed buttons for him in the elevator.
He was especially interested in my life, and always asked what I did at school...
I felt myself swallowing hard, and suddenly, I choked and teared up.

I quickly went upstairs, washed my face, and put on a fresh top.  I was late for an afternoon meet up with an old friend.  We went to "Shanghai Brewery", and had some good freshly brewed beer.  It was extremely nice catching up. The whole hour was filled with interesting exchange of stories.  Mind you I have not had any food but 2 cups of coffee during the day.  By the time we left the brewery, I was quite intoxicated.  Next stop was a malaysian restaurant located in a local vegetable market.  I never would've thought inside a local market, there was a secret community filled with exotic bars and fusion asian restaurants.  I shall not mention the name of the restaurant.  I will tell you that it is on South Shanxi rd.  If fellow Shanghers get the chance to explore the street, I suggest you go into vegetable markets and see if you can find this mysterious cult.  I couldn't help but get a bloody mary along with my dinner.  After the glass, I started to feel tired, and ready to pass out.

the bar
 nice terrace
IMG_0019
cute huh?

After dinner, we parted our ways.  I grabbed myself a taxi, but as I was opening the taxi door, a cell phone fell out of the cab.  I held on to the phone hoping for a phone call from the owner.  Not long after, the owner called asking for the phone.  Maybe it was because of the mixture of good conversations and spirits, I offered to drop the phone off at the location where the guy was at.
I know how it feels to lose your phone.  I've done it too many times, and always wished someone would pick up the phone and help me to retrieve my phone.

As I sat in the cab cruising on the high way, I had the window fully down, and appreciated the wind.  I took some pictures in the speedy cab.  Enjoy (:

IMG_0023


IMG_0027


IMG_0022


IMG_0011

Good night and Cinco de mayo 

No comments:

Post a Comment